Ether is not issued by any specific single manner – a compromise between funding to get the project off the ground and future mining to secure the network has been taken. If you were lucky enough to have bought into the crowd funding of Ethereum you would have helped fund the project as well as got yourself some currency on one of the most exciting financial/technological advances ever.
The fundraising was taken in mid 2014, and roughly 60 million (60,102,216 ETH) Ether units were issued at a rate of between 1000-2000 Ether per Bitcoin or BTC.
Of the total amount sold another 9.9% were released to allocated to the Ethereum Foundation to compensate early contributors and pay for ETH denominated expenses prior to the genesis block on the 30th July 2015.
Another 9.9% was maintained as a long term reserve for Ethereum meaning the total number of coins released prior to the launch was 72 million.
The Ether currency units to be released per year after the Genesis block will be 26% of the initial 60 million raised in the funding phase. The amount of coins released per year will stay constant at 15.6 million Ether Units. In year five, or July 2020, over 50% of the coins will have been mined by miners.
Ether is issued at a rate of 5 ETH per block on a block time target of 12 seconds.
In this way the inflation takes precedence in the first few years and deflation further down the path – very similar to Bitcoin. The difference being that Bitcoin rewards stop after the year 2140 – with Ethereum there will still be 15.6 million Ether units issued – a marginal increase in the money supply.
- How High Can Solana Go By The End Of 2023? Sponsored
- B2BinPay v17 Upgrade – A New Stage In Crypto Payment Systems
- B2BinPay Teams Up with Ledger to Provide Own-Brand Hardware Wallets for Clients
- How To Add Bitcoin To Your Investment Portfolio?
- The “ChatGPT” of AI-quantitative Trading - ATPBot Crypto Trading Bot
- Get Started With Savl Wallet & KYT Address Verification Checks
- Coinplay: A Comprehensive Crypto Casino Accepting Over 40 Cryptocurrencies
- How Is Cryptocurrency Integrated To Gift Cards?
- B2Broker and Match Trader Announce Powerful Integration for New White Label Model
- 4 Different Ways Bitcoin is Being Used Nowadays
This website is only provided for your general information and is not intended to be relied upon by you in making any investment decisions. You should always combine multiple sources of information and analysis before making an investment and seek independent expert financial advice.
Where we list or describe different products and services, we try to give you the information you need to help you compare them and choose the right product or service for you. We may also have tips and more information to help you compare providers.
Some providers pay us for advertisements or promotions on our website or in emails we may send you. Any commercial agreement we have in place with a provider does not affect how we describe them or their products and services. Sponsored companies are clearly labelled.