Ether is the internal network currency for Ethereum. Just like Bitcoin has Satoshi and Millibits and the USD has dollars and cents, Ethereum has its own denominations and naming terminology. Ether is also used to pay for various transaction and computational tasks performed on the Ethereum network – and this is confusingly called GAS. There is a GAS limit on each block (i.e. how many computational transactions can be performed per block) which limits the block size and determines the cost of executing a contract immediately. A table below shows the different Wei denominations:
All the small denominations are named after pioneers in the Cryptographic space in a nod to Bitcoin’s naming terminology. A Finney is named after Hal Finney and a Szabo after Nick Szabo, some of the usual suspects for the face behind the eponymous Satoshi Nakomoto.
- Trippki - The Evolution of Travel Sponsored
- Online.io - Together We Can Change The Internet Sponsored
- Why the CryptoCompare team has chosen the Ledger Wallet
- Tutellus: How to Earn Tokens while Learning
- CryptoCompare Portfolio FAQ
- Where to spend your Bitcoins
- How to mine Zcash
- CryptoCompare.com - Who we are!