The origins of Bitcoin can be traced to the CypherPunk movement.
The Cypher punk movement started arguably on the back of work by David Chaum – one of the usual suspects to be Satoshi Nakomoto.
David Chaum published a paper in 1985 discussing anonymous digital cash and pseudonymous reputation protocols – Security without Identification: Transaction Systems to Make Big Brother Obsolete.
The original group of Cypherpunks met in 1992 in San Francisco. This then grew into a global mailing list with over 700 members. The set of topics amalgamated mathematics, cryptography, politics and philosophy and computer science.
The main tenets of the movement can be gleamed from a quote by Eric Hughes in his Cypherpunk’s manifesto of 1993:
Privacy is necessary for an open society in the electronic age...
We cannot expect governments, corporations, or other large, faceless organizations to grant us privacy...
We must defend our own privacy if we expect to have any...
Cypherpunks write code. We know that someone has to write software to defend privacy, and ... we're going to write it...
The Cypherpunk mailing list gradually evolved into different forms – for example anonymous and Cryptoparty , but the same underlying libertarian beliefs of rights to privacy and anonymity remained in various forms.
Satoshi Nakomoto release his Bitcoin paper on one of these groups – the cryptography mailing list at Metzdowd.com in November 2008 - and published the Bitcoin software soon after on January the third 2009.
- What is a Bitcoin Vanity address and how do you get one?
- How Does Bitcoin Cryptography work?
- What affects the Bitcoin price?
- What is a Crypto Currency?
- What will happen to the Bitcoin Price when the Block Reward Halves in 2016?
- How do digital signatures in Bitcoin work?
- Is the Bitcoin Blockchain too big?
- B2Broker Introduces cTrader as a White Label Platform
- CryptoCompare Lists Potential Ethereum Hard Fork Tokens
- Crypto Spot Trading Volumes Reach 20-Month Low
- Binance Leads YTD Crypto Exchange Volumes as Competition Heats Up
- Total Value Locked in DeFi Protocols Plunged 65.7% in Q2
- Crypto Adoption on the Rise: Countries Pioneering Digital Asset Usage
- Meeting FirstByte Media: Comments from Cosmin Mesenschi, CEO & Founder of FirstByte Media
- Meet ZENIQ: The Decentralized Blockchain-Powered Ecosystem
- GAUGECASH Integrates Chainlink Keepers to Decentralize Automation of Novel Liquidity Pool, GAUGEFIELD
- Ariva Digital’s ‘Arivaman’ Gets Set To Embark On Epic Adventure
This website is only provided for your general information and is not intended to be relied upon by you in making any investment decisions. You should always combine multiple sources of information and analysis before making an investment and seek independent expert financial advice.
Where we list or describe different products and services, we try to give you the information you need to help you compare them and choose the right product or service for you. We may also have tips and more information to help you compare providers.
Some providers pay us for advertisements or promotions on our website or in emails we may send you. Any commercial agreement we have in place with a provider does not affect how we describe them or their products and services. Sponsored companies are clearly labelled.