You can now track the value of a few top cryptocurrencies in real-time right next to your taskbar on windows! This is a beta product and will be improved over time so make sure to check back up for updates and new features. We've been using it internally for the past 2 years (we did an internal hackathon in Jan 2017 and this was the winning project!) but we have not bought a code signing certificate and never got to release it publicly because we wanted the installer to be signed. We finally go around to getting the code signing certificate and we can now share the taskbar ticker with all of you.
Step 1: We recommend creating a CryptoCompare account as well since in v2 of the ticker we'll ask for API keys for higher frequency polling and maybe even streaming at some point in the near future! We'll also include new features for this with announcements in the daily market update and the API keys monthly update, so if you're not registered you won't know when to update (we do plan on having an auto-update in the future).
Step 2: Click here to download the latest version of the installer it should download in your browser you can either click on the newly downloaded installer or go to your download folder and double click on the installer.
Part 2 - Check publisher and install the windows taskbar price ticker widget
Step 1: After you click on the installer, because we're still new and the Microsoft Defender SmartScreen does not know us yet, you'll have to click on more info and make sure the Publisher is Crypto Coin Comparison ltd. This will get fixed as more people install the ticker, it's to do with Microsoft reputation and the more of us install it the more reputation we get.
Step 2: After you click Run anyway (again this should just be temporary until the reputation of our binary increases with Microsoft) you'll get another screen that again verifies that we are the publisher. You should see Crypto Coin Comparison ltd as the Verified publisher if you want you can show more details and even see our certificate (sorry for the quality, could not do a screenshot, had to take a picture of my monitor). Click Yes on this screen.
Step 3: The actual installation. Now that you have checked that the installer is published by us and you have allowed the installation to continue, you'll have 4 self-explanatory installation screens:
Part 3 - Run and configure the windows taskbar price ticker widget
Step 1: After the installation is complete, right-click on any empty space in the windows taskbar. You should see a new set of options under toolbars as seen in the picture below. Just click CryptoCompate Tray Ticker to enable the windows taskbar price ticker widget.
Step 2: You should now see the price ticker widget on your taskbar. To access the price ticker widget options just right click on the price and select CryptoCompare Tray Ticker Options
Step 3: Under the configuration options you can change:
- Update style to No highlighting (when the price gets updated you will only see the new price and nothing will distract you), Highlight text only (this will flash the text colour to green or red depending on whether the price has gone up or down, this is a bit more distracting than the no highlight option) or Highlight background (this is the most distracting one, it will change the full background to red or green when the price changes).
- Update frequency: 1 minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes or 10 minutes, we want to add a 30-second option and only enable 1 minute and 30 seconds with a valid API key (to make sure you have enough calls and won't be rate-limited - 1440 minutes in a day, 30 days in a month so at one call every 30 seconds you'd be making - assuming you keep your PC on all the time - 86400 calls per month and that's just under the 100k calls we give for free API key users).
- Pair to show and we've just selected a small subset of pairs, this will be expanded in time, please let us know in the comments if you'd like any other pair that is currently missing.
Also please bear in mind that this is still in Beta! We are adding new features that will hopefully keep making it easier for you - and if you have any bright ideas or add-on's that would help you out just contact us by leaving a comment at the end of this article!
- Cryptocurrency Taxes in the UK - a Complete Guide
- PrimeXBT: Bitcoin margin trading platform guide
- Ledger Nano X Review: How to Securely Store Your Cryptoassets Offline
- ArbiSmart Review: Benefiting from Arbitrage with Ease
- BitMax.io Pioneering Innovation with Novel Staking Product
- What are Bitcoin Perpetual Swaps and How to Trade Them
- How to Securely Trade Cryptocurrencies Without Creating an Account
- Bitcoin Mining in the Future: How Profitable Will It Be?
- How One Player Won 1.79 BTC from a Blockchain Casino, and Why Dapps Can’t Compete
- How Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain Are Powering Artisanal Small Gold Miners
This website is only provided for your general information and is not intended to be relied upon by you in making any investment decisions. You should always combine multiple sources of information and analysis before making an investment and seek independent expert financial advice.
Where we list or describe different products and services, we try to give you the information you need to help you compare them and choose the right product or service for you. We may also have tips and more information to help you compare providers.
Some providers pay us for advertisements or promotions on our website or in emails we may send you. Any commercial agreement we have in place with a provider does not affect how we describe them or their products and services. Sponsored companies are clearly labelled.